Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Why Public Relations?


Throughout my life, my parents have always said that I "saw the world through rose colored glasses."  According to them, I never met a stranger and could "talk to anyone until they were blue in the face."  Growing up, I never thought anything about not being a shy person- it was just one more thing that made my sister and I polar opposites!  I loved talking to people and learning how everyone was unique in their own way.  I always found a way to relate to people and that's what I enjoyed doing!  
During my talkative childhood, I never imagined that my blabber mouth would help me decide on a career path.  Going into college, I had no idea what I wanted to be when I "grew up."  I knew that whichever major I chose had to be a Liberal Arts major, because I had recently been awarded the Vera Lucille Vincent Scholarship at Georgia College & State University (a Liberal Arts scholarship for people with good academics and community service hours).  As my mom and I looked through the different majors, my mom immediately noticed the words 'Public Relations.'  "This is it!  This major has your name written all over it," Mom said.  However I had no clue what Public Relations was.  She explained to me that it would be a job where I talked to people a lot, did not sit behind a desk all day and would get to write often.  All of those things I enjoyed, so Public Relations it was!
I guess that you could say that my mom "chose my major for me," but I wouldn't call it that.  She simply pointed me in the right direction.  So far I think that she did a great job helping me choose my major, because I have actually enjoyed running around like a chicken with my head cut off constantly. I enjoy being busy and am looking forward to learning more about Public Relations in the years to come!      

Until Next Time, Tori Cantrell

No comments:

Post a Comment