Wednesday, September 2, 2009

My PR skills (and those I still need to work on)

After reviewing the skills listed on davefleet.com required to be a successful Public Relations professional, I realized that my college training thus far has been a great success! I feel that I possess more on the list than I lack, which made me a little more comfortable about graduating in a couple short semesters! These are the qualities that I feel I have in my back pocket:
1. Writing skills- Teachers in grade school as well as professors in college have complemented my writing style. I feel
pretty comfortable with my writing skills.
2. Communication skills- Like I've said before, I can pretty much talk to anyone!
3. Attention to detail- I find myself proofreading my papers and doing more research than is necessary.
4. Media Relations- I have updated and created media lists for several businesses now. I know what to ask when I
call.
5. Proactiveness- I hate not knowing the answer, and I will do whatever it takes to find out!
6. Work ethic- I do not mind putting in a little extra effort to ensure that things are done right.
7. Blogging- I am starting to get the hang of blogging and actually enjoy it!
8. Social networking tools- I check my Facebook at least four times a day... enough said!
The way I look at it, that's more than half! The remaining six topics I am familiar with, but can not say that I am comfortable with them yet. For example, microblogging (Twitter). As I try to figure it out, I get extremely frustrated, but I am hanging in there and am feeling a little more comfortable with it each day. I do have an open mind and look forward to learning more about each remaining topic (I was a little skeptical about blogging at first, but now I love it).

Tori Cantrell

No comments:

Post a Comment