Sunday, March 21, 2010

PR Goes Mobile

On my previous birthday, my parents finally gave in and bought me what I had been wanting for two years - an iPhone. Now, I frequently find myself asking the same question: "How in the world did I ever survive without this phone?". On average, I would say that I spend about three hours on my phone each day. In addition to the applications that came with my phone (email, calendar, etc.), I have downloaded several other applications to meet my everyday needs - games, news, navaigation and social media.

According to PR News Online, "Americans now spend an average of 2.7 hours per day on the mobile Internet," and it is time for PR professionals to "begin formulating a mobile PR strategy and... Start on the path toward integration."

Accessing Facebook, Twitter, and other social media on the go has been made easy with smartphones. Facebook and Twitter can now be accessed from anywhere in the world in a matter of seconds through applications they have developed specifically for mobile devices. Several other businesses have already created applications as well, including: CNN, Fox News, and PR agencies like WordHampton Public Relations.


Times are changing folks! PR agencies need to start developing mobile sites for their clients. By doing so, people will be able to access the information more easily than before. This is the way I think about it... I always have my phone on me, but I do not always have my computer on me. In addition, my smartphone can access the internet anywhere without having to purchase an air card or any other wireless accessory (these are very expensive).

Society is becoming more and more fast-paced and on the go. It's important that businesses (including PR) adapt to the environment!

No comments:

Post a Comment