Tuesday, February 9, 2010

My Personal Ethics

This semester, I am taking business ethics as an elective. This week, we were assigned the task of writing a personal ethics statement so that I can apply these to a business or life experience situation later in life. This is my first ever personal ethics statement:



Personal Ethics Statement
I will always be an honest person, to both my colleagues and myself. I will never distort the truth to benefit my own needs or wants. I will always follow the Golden Rule and never treat others in a way that I, myself, would not like to be treated. I will always be an active listener and remain open to all ideas and suggestions without discriminating. I will always do what is right, regardless of the consequences I will face for doing so (even if I lose my job). I will make decisions that will result in the least amount of harm to others and never forget what is the most important in my life – Christ, family, friends and job. Kickbacks will never be accepted – regardless of how tempting they are. Holidays will be days devoted to family time, never work. My decisions will not be based on monetary compensation, and I will never gather or accept illegally obtained information.

Supporting Principles
• I will always seek the truth and report (even if it is an ugly truth).
• Everyone will be treated with respect. I will promote an experimental workplace where employees will feel comfortable coming up with new ideas.
o Gossiping about my colleagues will not occur.
• Family matters will always be the highest priority – Employees will never be punished if they must leave work early to deal with a family situation.
• If I am ever offered a bribe, I will not accept it and, more so, consider never doing business with this person again.
• Money will not buy me happiness. I will find joy in the little things in life.
• Any form of trespassing will never be permitted – regardless of how much the information could help me and/or my business.
• I will continue to go to church regularly and remain involved in my children’s lives.
• I will get to know all of my colleagues so that I can keep their values in mind when making decisions.
• I will be careful not to take on too much at a time so that each task I complete is done to the best of my ability.

No comments:

Post a Comment